First Impressions: The Bride of the Water God (Habaek)

The first two episodes of The Bride of Habaek have aired and I'm left with mixed feeling.

I haven't watched a lot of fantasy dramas before and for a long time even strayed away from historical dramas. (Scarlet Heart: Ryeo and Goblin corrected that real quick.) I understand that in the beginning of most dramas they have to give you backstory and establish the story line, especially with fantasy dramas. Right now though, The Bride of Habaek feels like it can go either way.

There were really good moments of humor involved and judging by the snippets shown at the end that preview what's to come, something big is planned. That's all that I've got to go on so far though. They leave you on a cliff and hope you don't jump. I want to love it all because I enjoyed Nam Joo-hyuk's acting is Scarlet Heart: Reyo. I'm just not sure with this one.

There are only two episodes out though, so I definitely want to give it more time to see where the story line goes! There is some story development, but it's like a trail of bread crumbs, little bits here and there. It seems like there are a few more big characters that haven't been introduced yet so we'll just have to wait and see. Currently the next episode preview is what is going to keep me watching.

I'm realizing how vague this all sounds but I don't want to spoil anything for you if you haven't watched it yet~

Overall:  

Pros:

  • Beautiful set and costume design (lighting especially)
  • Attractive cast
  • Comedic relief
  • Decent supporting characters
  • Story line shows promise

Cons:

  • Slow development
  • Characters personality traits can be frustrating
  • Some scenes don't seem necessary
  • Feels like continued viewing is reliant on cliff hangers and future ep. previews

Regardless of the cons I have high hopes for next week's episodes and fingers crossed this turns out to be a good drama.

Comments

  1. I really want to get into this drama, but I'm having a hard time do you have any advise on how to past the slowness of the show?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not great advice but you just have to push passed the slow pace. Fingers crossed that the next few episodes are better!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I taught myself Hangul in 90 minutes

Korean Music: Not Just K-Pop! [Top 10]

Monthly Drama Pick - July 2017